Here’s how to install your converted system:
This image shows the additional connections your head unit will now have after conversion, and the additional connections fitted to the CD player. This is a non-TV unit – the TV equipped units have identical connectivity but due to the different chassis some of the components and wiring are exposed on the back of the unit:
You then need to identify the following parts that you have either ordered separately or received as part of a pre-built conversion – this is what you’ll have if your car has the STANDARD AUDIO system (scroll down for ALPINE PREMIUM systems):
If your car has the PREMIUM AUDIO system you’ll have the following (an additional Digital to Analogue converter and the Odroid SPDIF audio output will be the opposite gender so that it can connect to this DAC):
The Odroid unit can be hidden under the passenger footwell and tucked away up on top of the ECU module (metal box attached under the glovebox). All cables can then run under the glovebox and enter the area at the rear of the head unit ready for connection.
The GPS module should be installed up on the dash in the corner of the window at the passenger side, the cable is easily fed down under the glovebox to the Odroid by temporarily removing the dash side trim panel revealed when the passenger door is opened. Don’t be tempted to hide this away in the glovebox or behind the dash – it may appear to work initially but won’t receive a strong enough signal to get a GPS lock.
The connection process then is as follows and it is important which USB ports you use so follow the instructions exactly.
TIP: Some of the connectors can easily be accidentally disconnected during the install, it might be helpful to secure each plug & socket together with a small piece of PVC tape
First there are specific USB devices that must be connected directly into the Odroid computer:
- Plug the BLUETOOTH USB module into one of the main ODROID USB ports
- Plug the WIFI USB module into one of the main ODROID USB ports
- Plug the USB GPS RECEIVER into one of the main ODROID USB ports
- The spare USB port can be used for a USB stick or other device of your choice
Next the USB hub will be located behind the touchscreen/CD unit when it is mounted in the dash. Connect the following devices to the USB hub:
- Plug the TOUCHSCREEN USB connector into the USB HUB
- Plug the ARDUINO USB connector into the USB HUB
- Plug the CD CONTROL USB connector into the USB HUB
The USB hub will then connect to the Odroid computer via the OTG (micro-USB) port:
- Plug the USB EXTENSION cable into the USB HUB
- Feed the USB EXTENSION cable from the USB HUB located at the back of the touchscreen, under the glovebox to the location of the Odroid computer
- Attach the USB OTG CONNECTOR to the USB EXTENSION cable
- Plug the USB OTG CONNECTOR into the ODROID OTG USB port (the micro-usb socket)
Connect the power to the Odroid:
- Plug the 5v PSU into the 12v Power DC jack on the head unit
- Plug the ODROID POWER cable into the ODROID power jack and the other end into one of the 5V POWER connectors on the head unit
Connect the HDMI video cable from the Odroid to the touchscreen:
- Plug the HDMI CABLE into the ODROID and the HDMI INPUT socket on the head unit
Connect the audio cables to the aux-input on the CD player:
- If your car is fitted with STANDARD AUDIO:
- Plug one end of the PHONO TO PHONO cable into the ODROID SPDIF OUT socket,and the other end to the AUX AUDIO IN on the head unit – don’t worry if the cable colour differs from the socket colour
- If your car is fitted with PREMIUM AUDIO:
- Plug the ODROID SPDIF OUT phono plug into the SPDIF input of the the DIGITAL-TO-ANALOGUE CONVERTER, and the Red/Black plugs of the TWIN PHONO TO TWIN PHONO cable into the L/R audio out on the DIGITAL-TO-ANALOGUE CONVERTER, and the other end of the Red/Black phono plugs into the AUX AUDIO IN on the CD player
- Connect the DAC POWER CABLE mini USB plug into the DIGITAL-TO-ANALOGUE CONVERTER and the other end into the remaining 5V POWER connector on the head unit
Add the optional WAKE-UP cable (starts the Odroid booting up when you unlock the car, for a faster startup):
- Plug the UNLOCK WAKEUP CABLE into the UNLOCK WAKE UP connector on the head unit. The bare ends then need to be wired in parallel with the passenger footwell illumination lamp in order to receive a wakeup trigger when the car is unlocked.
- The Orange (Positive) wire connects to the BLACK/WHITE striped wire going to the lamp socket (+12v), the other wire is the Black (Ground).
- Test with a multimeter across the footwell lamp to test polarity if in doubt. When your meter reads +12v when the lamp is lit, then the RED probe is +12v and the BLACK is Ground. If your meter reads -12v then the opposite is true.
Now power everything up and enjoy your system!
Have a read of the Next Steps page for recommended Apps and add-ons