What is JagDroid?
- JagDroid is an upgrade to the Jaguar touchscreen which gives you access to an Android system capable of running any modern Apps such as Waze Navigation and Spotify, YouTube etc etc, as well as Apple CarPlay with an optional add-on. There are no additional buttons that need to be installed in the dash, so it looks completely factory and seamless, and all original Jaguar functions are retained.
- JagDroid is based on an Odroid N2+ single board computer (see here: www.odroid.co.uk) running Android 11, with 16Gb eMMC storage (larger eMMC cards are available), and added Bluetooth, Wifi and GPS USB modules.
- The outdated Jaguar factory Nav (which stopped being updated in 2012) is replaced with any Android navigation app of your preference, such as TomTom, Waze, Google Maps etc, and with a Wifi/4G data connection will give you completely up to date maps and live traffic etc. Press the NAV button to switch to the Android system, then press NAV again to switch to your preferred Navigation app!
As an alternative upgrade there is also a simple lower-cost Bluetooth music streaming upgrade option known as JagDroid-BT for those who do not require the full touchscreen system, and also works on the non-touchscreen players including Cassette and Minidisc players. This is available on the XJ X350, X-Type and S-Type, XJ X308 and XJ X300 models, and some XK8/XKR models. Click here for details on JagDroid-BT
What does it look like?
Here are some screenshots showing the Launcher (Car Launcher Pro), music application (Spotify), and GPS Navigation (TomTom):
What else can it do?
- You can also stream audio from your phone via Bluetooth to play music through the Jaguar sound system – the audio is injected directly into the Jaguar CD Player for the best possible sound quality.
- When playing from any Android music app, you can control track skipping previous/next from your steering wheel controls, as well as the buttons on the front panel of the CD Player. Pressing CD toggles between Play and Pause, just like it does with a CD. You can switch between Android audio and the CD audio by pressing A.MEM while the CD is playing.
- Reversing camera with auto switching on selecting reverse gear
- Apple CarPlay can be added by connecting a USB CarPlay dongle
- DAB+ radio with the addition of a USB DAB module and DAB antenna (you will need an external antenna for useable reception)
What can’t it do?
- It doesn’t support hands-free phone calls – bluetooth can only be used for audio streaming (unless you are an iPhone user and add the optional Apple CarPlay dongle). Without the Apple CarPlay dongle installed the standard Jaguar bluetooth phone module still needs to be installed to use hands-free calling. If you don’t already have the Jaguar bluetooth module fitted, there is lots of good information about how to retro-fit this on jaguarforums.com (USA based) and jaguarforum.com (UK based). This thread is one example
- Audio from the Android system cannot automatically interrupt audio playing on the factory CD/Radio, so you can’t for example listen to the built-in FM radio and have the Android system speak navigation instructions over the top. To get around this you can stream music directly on the Android system e.g. using a radio app such as ‘Tune In’. Then the navigation instructions will interrupt the audio when needed.
- Note that if your car doesn’t already have the touchscreen fitted, then you’ll need to do some additional work to retro-fit one first – it’s not a direct replacement for the basic controls. See https://www.xtype.uk/ for some good information about performing this upgrade.
- Finally, please be aware that due to the complexities of interfacing with the original Jaguar graphics screens, on the Jaguar logo screen a white line will be visible like this:
How can I get it?
We are based in the UK, and you can send us your touchscreen and CD player to have them upgraded with the JagDroid system .
The service includes the following:
- Modification of your touchscreen unit with a higher resolution LCD screen with capacitive multi-touch panel
- Modification of your CD player to accept an external Aux audio in, used by the Android system to inject sound into the Jaguar audio system
- The Odroid N2+ Android computer with 4Gb RAM, Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, and 16Gb eMMC storage (storage upgrades are available for additional cost)
- It will include the connection for a rear camera, which you can install yourself if required (see the Next Steps page for details)
- All necessary cabling is included such as USB and HDMI cables.
- The cost for the service is £650 plus return postage, payment is due when the conversion is done and ready to send back to you. You will be sent an electronic invoice by email which you can pay instantly and securely online by using a debit/credit card, or via bank transfer.
- If you wish to go ahead, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message via our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/jagdroid.org
Watch a demo video, and please subscribe to my channel :
Alternatively, you can build this as a DIY project!
For DIY instructions please continue to the Contents page
If you find my website useful in building your own JagDroid system and would like to send me a small donation, then anything is gratefully received! Please use the following link to donate using PayPal: https://www.paypal.me/JagDroid